A person wearing a live united shirt gestures to a person in business attire. Both are seated at a desk in front of a pile of documents.

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is a national program staffed by local volunteers to provide free preparation and electronic filing of tax returns. It’s an important service to thousands of individuals and families in this county with low-to-moderate incomes who are eligible for tax credits.

I Want to File my Taxes

Racine County residents filing returns from 2016 onward are eligible for VITA's services.

Homestead- or state-only returns can only be completed as drop-off returns when sites are active. You can visit any active site during its operational hours to drop off documents for preparation, and we will notify you when they are ready.

Taxpayers who claim rental income or file as married filing separate are not eligible for VITA's services at this time.

In-Person VITA Sites Closed

Due to COVID-19, all in-person VITA sites are closed.


GetYourRefund logo


Virtual Tax Preparation and Filing

In partnership with Code For America and Prosperity Now, United Way of Racine County is offering VITA tax preparation and filing virtually through Certified VITA volunteers will then assist you throughout the tax filing process.

What can you expect when you use GetYourRefund?

  1. You will complete a questionnaire online. you will be asked a series of questions
  2. You will upload your documents, which will be sent to certified VITA volunteers.
  3. You will schedule an interview and review call with a volunteer.
  4. You will submit your signed return via email.

Yellow button that says "file now."

What to Have Ready

  • Current photo identification (driver’s license, state ID or student ID).
  • Social security cards or ITINs for you, your spouse (if married) and any dependents you are claiming.
  • If filing joint, both taxpayers must be present. Returns cannot be completed until signed by both taxpayers.
  • All wage and tax statements, including the following forms:
    • W-2
    • W-2G
    • 1099-R
    • 1099-G
    • SSA-1099
    • 1099-INT
    • 1099-DIV
  • 1095-A if you receive health insurance through the Marketplace.
  • Any other tax document(s) you’ve received.
  • Bank information for direct deposit (routing and account number).

Homestead credit is available to Wisconsin residents with an income under $24,680. If filing for Homestead, you will also need:

  • Your property tax bill or rent certificate
  • Social security benefits, including:
    • federal and state SSI
    • SSI-E
    • SSD
    • caretaker supplement payments
  • Wisconsin Works payment documents
  • Child support amount received from the year you are filing.

Did you get your stimulus payment?

The United Way's 211 Economic Impact Payment Helpline is available to answer your questions and help you file your information with the IRS to receive your stimulus payment. Contact the 211 Economic Impact Payment Helpline at +1 844 322 3639 for assistance. IRS-certified volunteers are also available at to provide free assistance filing your paperwork with the IRS to get your stimulus payment.


I Want to Volunteer for VITA

As a VITA volunteer, you can make a difference in the lives of Racine County residents. Multiple volunteer positions are available:

  • Greeters/screeners welcome tax filers to the VITA site and ensure that tax filers have all the information needed to complete their tax returns. 
  • Bilingual interpreters work alongside clients and preparers to interpret their conversations. 
  • Tax preparers are the backbone of the program. They must complete training and certification at a basic level. Training is web-based and free and can be completed on your own time, at your own pace. 
  • Site coordinators and assistant site coordinators ensure that VITA rules and regulations are followed at every site and assist the site's volunteers and clients. Requires advanced certification and additional training.

ID: Red button that says "volunteer." /ID

Have other questions about VITA?