VITA services by appointment only!
Schedule your VITA tax appointment today
Appointments are for federal and state tax preparation for Racine County residents. Services are provided by trained volunteers. We are unable to serve taxpayers who claim rental income or file as married filing separate. These appointments are not for State only/Homestead only returns.
To use the online scheduler, click here.
To use the automated phone scheduler, call 262-383-2555
Visit a site during operation hours to schedule an appointment in person.
- no guarantee that you will be seen that day
For homestead only/State only returns
Homestead-only returns will be completed as a drop off return. Please visit any site during operational hours to drop off your documents for preparation. You will be notified when they are completed.
VITA TAX SITES WILL RUN FROM MONDAY, JANUARY 27 THROUGH THURSDAY, APRIL 9
Workforce Solutions - Mondays and Wednesdays 1 - 7 p.m.
Julian Thomas/Knapp Elementary - alternating Tuesdays 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Racine Public Library - Thursdays 4 - 7 p.m. and Fridays 12 - 3 p.m.
Gateway Technical College - Saturdays 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Case High School - Saturdays 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
What Is vita?
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is a national program staffed by local volunteers to provide free preparation and electronic filing of tax returns. It’s an important service to thousands of individuals and families in this county with low-to-moderate incomes who are eligible for tax credits.
- VITA services are not available for taxpayers filing married filing separate (MFS) or who own rental property.
- VITA volunteers are able to prepare returns for tax years 2016 through the current tax year.
HOW TO RECEIVE VITA'S SERVICES
Schedule an appointment online or by phone
Walk-ins are not accepted
Utilize Valet VITA and drop off your documents at any site during operational hours. You will be notified when they are completed.
WHAT TO BRING
- Current photo identification (driver’s license, state ID or student ID).
- Social security cards or ITINs for you, your spouse (if married) and any dependents you are claiming.
- If filing joint, both taxpayers must be present. Returns can not be completed until signed by both taxpayers.
- All wage and tax statements, including the following forms:
- 1095-A if you receive health insurance through the Marketplace.
- Any other tax document(s) you’ve received.
- Bank information for direct deposit (routing and account number).
- If you are not sure if VITA needs it, bring it along.
Homestead credit is available to Wisconsin residents with an income under $24,680. Bring your property tax bill or rent certificate and social security benefits (including federal and state SSI, SSI-E, SSD, and caretaker supplement payments), Wisconsin Works payment documents, and child support amount recieved from the year you are filing.
HAVE OTHER QUESTIONS ABOUT VITA? VISIT OUR VITA FAQ PAGE.
BECOME A VITA VOLUNTEER
As a VITA volunteer, you can make a difference in the lives of Racine County residents. Multiple volunteer positions are available:
- Greeters/screeners welcome tax filers to the VITA site and make sure that tax filers have all the information needed to complete their tax returns.
- Bilingual interpreters work alongside clients and preparers to interpret their conversations.
- Tax preparers are the backbone of the program. They must complete training and certification at a basic level. Training is web based, free, and can be completed on your own time, at your own pace.
- Site coordinators and assistant site coordinators ensure that VITA rules and regulations are followed at every site and assist the site's volunteers and clients. Requires advanced certification and additional training.
For more information about VITA, contact Lori Riffer at 262-456-6468.