What is VITA?
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is a national program staffed by local volunteers to provide free preparation and electronic filing of tax returns. It’s an important service to thousands of individuals and families in this county with low-to-moderate incomes who are eligible for tax credits.
- VITA services are not available for taxpayers filing married, filing seperate or who own rental property.
- VITA volunteers are able to prepare returns for tax years 2015 through the current tax year.
HOW TO RECEIVE VITA'S SERVICES
United Way of Racine County VITA services are not available at this time.
- Appointment scheduling will be available January 2020.
- Walk-ins are not accepted.
None available at this time. Check back in January 2020.
WHAT TO BRING
- Current photo identification (driver’s license, state ID or student ID).
- Social security cards or ITINs for you, your spouse (if married) and any dependents you are claiming.
- If filing joint, both taxpayers must be present. Returns can not be completed until signed by both taxpayers.
- All wage and tax statements, including the following forms:
- 1095-A or other documents to show proof of health insurance.
- Any other tax document(s) you’ve received.
- Bank information for direct deposit (routing and account number).
- If you are not sure if VITA needs it, bring it along.
BECOME A VITA VOLUNTEER
As a VITA volunteer, you can make a difference in the lives of Racine County residents. Multiple volunteer positions are available:
- Greeters welcome tax filers to the VITA site and make sure that tax filers have all the information needed to complete their tax returns.
- Bilingual interpreters work alongside clients and preparers to interpret their conversations.
- Tax preparers are the backbone of the program. They must complete training and certification at a basic level. Training is web based, free, and can be completed on your own time, at your own pace.
- Reviewers are responsible for the secondary check, or review, of every tax return to ensure that the return is prepared correctly. Requires VITA or other tax experience and advanced certification.
- Site coordinators and assistant site coordinators ensure that VITA rules and regulations are followed at every site and assist the site's volunteers and clients. Requires VITA or other tax experience and advanced certification
For more information about VITA, contact Lori Riffer at 262-456-6468.