Want to learn more about VITA before applying to become a volunteer? Contact Lori Riffer, initiatives manager, at 262-456-6468.
What is VITA?
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is a national program staffed by local volunteers to provide free preparation and electronic filing of tax returns. It's an important service to thousands of individuals and families in this country with low-to-moderate incomes who are eligible for tax credits.
- Greeters welcome tax filers to the VITA site and ensure that the tax filers have all necessary information to complete their tax returns. Greeters may also assist the program coordinator/site coordinator with administrative tasks. No tax certification is required.
- Spanish/English bi-lingual interpreters work alongside clients and the preparers for a streamlined process. No tax certification is required.
- Intake specialists help to organize and contact virtual VITA clients. Tax certification is preferred but not required. Volunteers must have access to a laptop with updated antivirus and reliable internet.
- Tax preparers must complete training and certification at a basic or advanced level. Training is web-based, free, and can be completed on your own time, at your own pace. Optional virtual tax training classes are available the first three Saturdays in January from 10:00am - 3:00pm.
- Quality reviewers work with the client to review the finished return. They are quality control for the returns that are completed. Advanced tax certification is preferred. Additional training provided.
- The site coordinator/assistant coordinator is in charge of ensuring site requirements are met and that the site is functioning as it should. This person would take lead at the site when the Program Coordinator is not on site. Advance certification is required and additional training will be provided.
2021 Racine Tax sites
- Unknown at this time
Virtual VITA team
We will offer virtual tax preparation during the 2021 tax season. By partnering with Code for America and GetYourRefund.org, we can offer free tax preparation by IRS certified volunteers from the safety of home. Volunteers will log on from home and prepare taxes during virtual site times. Preparers will be required to have access to secure internet and an available laptop or desktop with updated virus protection. The following virtual volunteer positions are available.
- Tax preparer/bi-lingual tax preparer
- Quality reviewer
- Intake specialist
- No experience required. We provide all necessary training.
- Volunteers are asked to commit to at least one shift per week during tax season (January 25, 2021 through April 15, 2021). The site schedule is still unknown at this time. You will be contacted directly to discuss availability and scheduling as we get closer to the tax season.
- All volunteers must attend a mandatory orientation session. Orientation will be offered virtually.
- All volunteers must consent to and pass a background check conducted by Sterling Volunteers.
- Volunteers who do not pass the background check will be notified and will not be placed in a volunteer assignment.
Please complete the information below to secure your spot as a 2021 VITA volunteer!
- Your application must be completed and submitted in one session. If you navigate away from the page, your progress will not be saved.
- Please do not complete the application in ALL CAPS or all lower case.
- Fields marked with a red asterisk (*) are required and must be completed in order for your application to be submitted.