Thank you for your interest in becoming a SOH volunteer tutor for the 2022-23 school year. Please look over the following information before filling out your application.
- You will have the opportunity to select which school(s) you would like to tutor at. We will be offering SOH at Wadewitz and our three community schools: Knapp, Julian Thomas and Mitchell. Please check the links below for locations and driving times.
- In addition to traditional SOH tutoring, Mitchell is looking for bilingual English/Spanish speaking volunteers to tutor students in the dual language program. In this program, students from bilingual families and monolingual families come together to learn both English and Spanish, producing bilingual students by the fifth grade. Spanish-dominant students are able to keep their native language while learning English and English-dominant students are able to learn Spanish. The program follows an 80/20 model in which kindergarten students receive 80 percent of their daily instruction in Spanish and 20 percent in English. By fifth grade, children spend half of the day learning in each language. The bilingual staff is dedicated to helping our students not only reach the North Star goals, but to do so as bilingual, bi-literate young adults.
- You will select the days and blocks of times you are available. We will then match your availability with a student that has been chosen to participate.
- Please note that not all schools will have students available at all times listed below. Please select ALL days and times you're available to tutor. You will only be scheduled for the amount of sessions per week that you prefer.
- Available tutoring times are listed below for you to view before filling out the application.
|School||Tutor times available|
- Tutoring will begin the week of October 10, 2022 and end May 12, 2023.
- Tutor teams can be formed to make the weekly commitment easier. Up to two volunteers can share the same volunteer assignment. Volunteers are responsible for scheduling and ensuring that someone is present for the assigned session. If you are volunteering as a team, each person is required to fill out the volunteer application. Please signal in your application that you are volunteering as part of a tutor team and list the other volunteer in the designated spot.
- All volunteers are required to complete a background check through Sterling Volunteers by Sunday, September 25. You will be invited via email to complete the background check by the program manager, Lori Riffer. United Way of Racine County will cover any costs for the background check.
- Training will be held the week of October 3, 2022. Trainings will take place at participating schools in the evening. You are able to attend any of the four trainings. More information will be provided as specific days and times are scheduled.
When filling out your information
- New and returning tutors must complete this application to become for the 2022-23 school year.
- Your application must be completed and submitted in one session. If you navigate away from the page, your progress will not be saved.
- Please do not complete the application in ALL CAPS or all lower case.
- Fields marked with a red asterisk (*) are required and must be completed in order for your application to be submitted.
- We recommend using Google Chrome to complete this application.
- Additional questions can be directed to Initiatives Manager, Lori Riffer, at email@example.com or 262-456-6468.
Website by: OneEach Technologies
Sitemap | Login