Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is a national program staffed by local volunteers that provides free preparation and electronic filing of tax returns. Our volunteers help Racine County residents file taxes through VITA.
- Greeters welcome tax filers to the VITA site and make sure that tax filers have all the information needed to complete their tax returns. No tax certification is needed.
- Bilingual interpreters work alongside clients and preparers to interpret their conversations. No tax certification is needed.
- Tax preparers are the backbone of the program. They must complete training and certification at a basic or advanced level. Training is provided in both in-person, virtual and web-based formats, free, and can be completed on your own time, at your own pace.
- Quality reviewers provide a double check of every tax return prepared and review the finished return with the tax payer. They help to ensure accuracy. Quality reviewers are required to be certified at the advanced level. Additional training provided.
- Site coordinators and assistant site coordinators ensure that VITA rules and regulations are followed at every site and assist the site's volunteers and clients. Requires advanced certification, site coordinator certification, and additional training.
- Intake specialists interview the taxpayers and review documents to prepare their information for preparation. They also assist clients with drop off of tax documents and/or the virtual tax process. This position requires tax certification and additional training.
No experience is required. All training is provided. Flexible schedules are available, including weekdays, evenings and weekends. A commitment of one two-to-four-hour shift per week is required during tax season, January through April.
The application for the 2023 tax season is now closed. To request more information on becoming a VITA volunteer, please submit the information below and we will reach out when the application reopens for the 2024 season. Applications for the 2024 season will be available starting October 1, 2023.