- ABOUT US
- OUR WORK
- OUR CAMPAIGN
- OUR PARTNERS
- CONTACT US
Youth As Resources
Youth As Resources (YAR) empowers young people to make a positive difference in Racine County through grantmaking and community service.
YAR provides grants to fund youth-designed, youth-led community service and service learning projects. YAR projects feature youth as planners and volunteers and creatively address specific community needs or problems, such as environmental, social, and cultural awareness issues.
Youth groups may apply for grants up to and including $1,000. Prior to funding, all grant applications are screened and the youth groups present their project proposals directly to the Youth As Resources board. In turn, the YAR board makes funding recommendations to United Way of Racine County's Community Investment Committee.
Young people need more opportunities to become decision-makers and serve their community. Youth As Resources presents an effective model of providing leadership opportunities to youth board members, as well as to the community service project leaders and participants.
The purpose and function of Youth As Resources is to support United Way of Racine County’s community impact strategies as follows:
- Provide funding for supplies needed to complete youth-led community service projects
- Promote youth as capable community contributors who have valuable ideas and are able to take on responsibilities with energy and skill
- Empower youth to develop and apply their capacity to transform themselves and the world in which they live through active participation in the relationships, events and institutions that impact their lives
- Foster youth/adult partnerships where adults play a significant role as respectful partners and where both youth and adults share power and decision making
- Promote the direct involvement of youth in their communities as productive workers, as change agents, and as advocates for themselves and others in organizations and institutions throughout the community
- Promote in youth the development and acquisition of new knowledge and skills by providing support and challenging opportunities