Want to learn more about VITA before applying to become a volunteer? Contact Lori Riffer, financial stability manager, at 262-456-6468.
What is vita?
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is a national program staffed by local volunteers to provide free preparation and electronic filing of tax returns. It's an important service to thousands of individuals and families in this country with low-to-monderate incomes who are eligible for tax credits.
Volunteers are needed to serve as greeters, interpreters and tax preparers.
- Greeters welcome tax filers to the VITA site and ensure that the tax filers have all necessary information to complete their tax returns.
- Spanish/English bi-lingual interpreters work alongside clients and the preparers for a streamlined process.
- Tax preparers must complete training and certification at a basic level. Training is web based, free, and can be completed on your own time, at your own pace. Optional in-person tax training classes are available the first three Saturdays in January.
- No experience required.
- Commitment of at least one shift per week during tax season (January 27, 2020 through April 15, 2020). Three and four hour shifts are available depending on day and location of the VITA site. We schedule these shifts to maximize the impact of the VITA program in Racine County and to provide consistency at the sites. If your availability varies from the available shifts, please specify in "notes" section on the application.
- All volunteers must attend a mandatory orientation session.
- All volunteers must consent to and pass a background check conducted by the Racine County Sheriff's Department.
- Volunteers who do not pass the background check will be notified and will not be placed in a volunteer assignment.
Please complete the information below to secure your spot as a 2020 VITA volunteer!
- Your application must be completed and submitted in one session. If you navigate away from the page, your progress will not be saved.
- Please do not complete the application in ALL CAPS or all lower case.
- Fields marked with a red asterisk (*) are required and must be completed in order for your application to be submitted.