Advancing Family Assets (AFA) uses a family success coaching model to help local families reach goals in the areas of income, education and health. During their 9-to-12-month involvement in AFA, each family works with a coach to focus on their best possible futures:
- adults get jobs or better jobs
- families manage money better
- young children are ready to succeed in Kindergarten
- kids do better in school and participate in afterschool activities
- family members learn to get along with each other
- family members practice healthy lifestyles
AFA helps give families chances for success. Adults will be prepared to succeed in the workplace, and students will graduate ready to enter the workforce or post-secondary education without remediation. When families succeed, our community thrives.
In 2016, AFA began focusing its efforts on the 53403 and 53405 zip codes and was integrated with the new Community School model. Two coaches worked to enroll families from the Knapp Elementary School zone, with potential for expansion along with the Community Schools model. In 2019, Julian Thomas Elementary School, the newest community school, became part of this program as well. For more information, please contact United Way at 262-898-2240.