The next Youth As Resources grant application deadline for the 2016-17 school year has closed. The deadline for the 2017-18 is Tuesday, August 1, 2017.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to attend a YAR informational session.
Completed grant applications are due on the first of the month, August-May, regardless of the day of the week and/or holidays. Applications submitted after the first of the month will be held until the next month.
Project presentations take place during the YAR board meeting, scheduled for the second, third or fourth Monday of every month, depending on holidays. You will be required to present your project to the YAR board.
The next board meeting is taking place on Monday, April 10.
Grant Request Guidelines
- Are planned, led, and implemented by youth with adults serving as advisors
- Address a community need or problem clearly and creatively
- Can be started and finished by the same group of youth in a reasonable amount of time
- Have solid, well-organized plans and a realistic, cost-effective budget
- Create and utilize networks within the community through the donation of services, talents, and materials
- Publicize the positive work being done by youth to improve Racine County
- Include reflection activities that help youth gain insight into how they can make the world a better place
- Assume all liability associated with the project
- Demonstrate proof of IRS determination of non-profit status
- If the Sponsoring Organization is a school, provide a letter on school letterhead that lists the district’s state tax exempt number and states that the adult project advisors will ensure that the funds will be used as listed on the project application.
- If the Sponsoring Organization is a non-profit, provide the letter from the IRS that identifies the organization as a 501(c)(3).
- Receive and disburse the grant award funds on behalf of the youth group
- Return any unused funds in the form of a check payable to United Way of Racine County
Each YAR project budget has three required elements:
- Project costs such as supplies, materials, tool rental, transportation, etc.
- Reflection costs such as photo developing, stickers, embellishments, etc. Each group is provided a blank reflection book to complete and submit.
- Recognition costs such as certificates for participants, end-of-project celebrations, etc. Recognition costs may total no more than 20% of total project cost.
- Overhead costs (rent/mortgage payment, electric bills, etc.)
- Salaries, wages, stipends, or honorariums
- Direct donations to other organizations
- Capital items (computers, power tools, etc.)
- Items purchased prior to receiving notification of a YAR grant award for this project
- Items or supplies that will result in a profit for your group or other groups
Grant Application Process
Click HERE to download a graphic and narrative explanation of the Youth As Resources funding process.
Click HERE to download an example of the 2016-17 Youth As Resources grant application. Use the example to plan your project and application. Remember that no paper applications are accepted - all YAR grant applications must be submitted through the United Way of Racine County Community Investment Website.