- ABOUT US
- OUR WORK
- OUR CAMPAIGN
- OUR PARTNERS
- CONTACT US
Apply for a YAR Grant
All applicants are strongly encouraged to attend a YAR informational session.
Completed grant applications are due on the first of the month, August-May, regardless of the day of the week and/or holidays. Applications submitted after the first of the month will be held until the next month.
Project presentations take place during the YAR board meeting, scheduled for the third Monday of every month.
Grant Request Guidelines
Any group of youth (up to age 24) from community organizations, religious communities, schools, classrooms, clubs, service groups, and other nonprofit organizations may apply for a YAR grant up to and including $1,000.
YAR grants are awarded to projects that:
- Are planned, led, and implemented by youth with adults serving as advisors
- Address a community need or problem clearly and creatively
- Can be started and finished by the same group of youth in a reasonable amount of time
- Have solid, well-organized plans and a realistic, cost-effective budget
- Create and utilize networks within the community through the donation of services, talents, and materials
- Publicize the positive work being done by youth to improve Racine County
- Include reflection activities that help youth gain insight into how they can make the world a better place
Each project must have Sponsoring Organization. The Sponsoring Organization is required to:
- Assume all liability associated with the project
- Demonstrate proof of IRS determination of non-profit status
- Complete and submit the Counterterrorism Compliance document
- Receive and disburse the grant award funds on behalf of the youth group
Each YAR project budget has three required elements:
- Project costs such as supplies, materials, tool rental, transportation, etc.
- Reflection costs such as photo developing, stickers, embellishments, etc. Each group is provided a blank reflection book to complete and submit.
- Recognition costs such as certificates for participants, end-of-project celebrations, etc. Recognition costs may total no more than 20% of total project cost.
YAR grants cannot be used to cover:
- Overhead costs (rent/mortgage payment, electric bills, etc.)
- Salaries, wages, stipends, or honorariums
- Direct donations to other organizations
- Capital items (computers, power tools, etc.)
- Items purchased prior to receiving notification of a YAR grant award for this project
Grant Application Process
Click HERE to download a graphic and narrative explanation of the Youth As Resources funding process.
Click HERE to download an example of the 2013-14 Youth As Resources grant application. Use the example to plan your project and application. Remember that no paper applications are accepted - all YAR grant applications must be submitted through the United Way of Racine County Community Investment Website.
Click HERE to download step-by-step directions that describe how to access and complete the 2013-14 YAR grant application through the United Way of Racine County Community Investment Website.